2011년 3월 2일 수요일

Learn to tweet in Korean #2 - "Thanks for the follow back"



As introduced in the previous post, in Korean, "to follow" is 팔로우 하다 [pal-lo-u ha-da]. When you want to say "to follow back", however, you need to use a completely different word.

This is in fact a combination and abbreviation of two words: 맞 + 팔로우.

맞 [mat] here means "facing", "directly opposite", or "each other", and people use the term "맞팔" for "follow back" and 맞팔 하다 in the verb form.

맞팔 [mat-pal] = follow back, following each other
맞팔 하다 [mat-pal ha-da] = to follow back, to follow each other

So when you follow someone and the other person follows you back, and you want to say "Thanks for the follow back!" you can say:

맞팔 해 주셔서 감사합니다. 
[mat-pal hae ju-syeo-seo gam-sa-ham-ni-da]

or

맞팔 감사합니다.
[mat-pal gam-sa-ham-ni-da]



Thanks for reading. Feel free to tweet me in Korean at @ever4one!

댓글 6개:

  1. 맞팔 감사합니다,현우씨. This is really great. Now you have a blog for teaching how to tweet in Korean. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. Looking forward to your next entry ^^

    답글삭제
  2. Another cute entry! 감사합니다!

    답글삭제
  3. Oh my gosh, thank goodness I found this blog! I had been looking for more friends on twitter lately, and I see a lot of profiles containing the phrases "선팔" and "맞팔," which just confused me to no end! This post certainly cleared up my questions, thanks.

    답글삭제
  4. Thank you so much for explaining it! How about 선팔? What's the meaning of it?

    답글삭제